Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Best Way to Spread Christmas Cheer...

Many of you may have seen the movie Elf in which Will Ferrell plays a human who is raised by elves at the North Pole. He makes the trek from the North Pole (passing through the seven levels of the candy cane forest, through the sea of wurly, twirly gumdrops, and through the Lincoln tunnel) to search for his real father, who is on the naughty list. This is one of my favorite holiday movies. One of his classic sayings is, "The best way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud for all to hear." I can totally relate to this one. For those of you who don't know me well, I love music and I love to sing. I often have soundtracks playing in my head that I will sing along to, out loud. I think this is a genetic trait I inherited from my grandma, and she is what this story is really about.

My grandma started developing early signs of dementia a few years ago. In fact, she told her friends that when she traveled down to Nashville for my college graduation, she was going for my wedding. I hope she wasn't disappointed by my ugly black dress. The summer after my graduation, she fell and broke her hip.  After that, her and my grandpa moved from assisted living into a nursing home as his health was also declining. Through the grace of God, they were able to get a room together. My grandma would give us a tour of her one room house every time we would visit for the next couple years. She would often comment that it was small, but she knew her mansion was waiting for her in heaven.

I was fortunate in that, during physical therapy school, one of our internships was working at a nursing home down the street from where my grandparents lived.  I was able to pop over for a lunch visit every so often. Every time I came, my grandparents would think I was someone else.  One time I was my mom, one time I was my grandma's second cousin, and one time I was staff.  Although in all fairness, I was wearing the classic PT uniform of a polo, khakis and my name tag. No matter who she thought I was, whether it be family or a random stranger coming for a visit, she would make me feel welcome and without fail provide some type of serenade. She always sang, to everyone and anyone. If there was no one around she would hum pleasantly to herself. It was beautiful.

When my grandma was younger, she studied music and was an accomplished pianist. For years, she served as the piano accompanist at church. She taught me how to play Hot Cross Buns, Mary Had a Little Lamb, and Heart and Soul on the piano in her condo. Heart and Soul was my favorite because it was a duet and she would do cool embellishments when we would play together so it would sound so pretty. When my grandparents moved from their assisted living apartment into the nursing home, they gave my parents the piano. One recent Christmas, my grandparents were able to come to my parents house for a few hours to celebrate with the entire family. My grandma didn't remember everyone's name but she remembered how to play the piano. We all stood around the piano singing Christmas carols while she played, her arthritic fingers moving gracefully to hit each note with precision. It was an experience I will never forget.


My grandma passed away in August and this will be the first Christmas we celebrate without her.  Even though she is not here to sing her favorite Christmas songs, she lives on in the carols we sing at church, the piano at my parents house, and the decorated Christmas cookies that she could never pass up. God sends people into our lives to shape us into the people we are to become. Even though my grandma had a hard time keeping track of who we were most of the time, she never lost her sweet nature or her song. Her unconditional joy and the music she loved to share was a constant reminder of the great God we serve. This year, she gets to spend Christmas with her savior, in the mansion he prepared for her.  I know he'll love her serenades as much as I did.

As we near Christmas, take a moment to honor and remember the people God has placed in your life. If they're still around, tell them how much you love them. If they aren't, treasure the moments you shared and let God use that memory to show you how much he loves you.

Have a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment