Thursday, June 6, 2013

Life in the Slow Lane


Every “good girl” has a vice, a socially acceptable way to rebel against her “good girl” status.  I have one (ok maybe a few), but one that I want to confess to you today. My name is Michelle and I have a lead foot. It’s not as heavy as some people’s, but I definitely have a hard time actually driving the speed limit. I like the feeling of speed and freedom and beating all the slow cars I pass on long road trips. Of course the constant search for hidden cop cars can be exhausting and the checking of rearview mirrors to see if their radar caught the before detection speed or after slamming on the brake speed can be stressful, it’s all part of the excitement of the road race.
            
Last week, I drove from Minneapolis to Chicago for a long weekend to visit my cousin, her husband, and their adorable 7-month-old. It’s a really pretty drive and I enjoyed blasting music and singing at the top of my lungs or sitting in silence, spending time with God, praying for whoever or whatever the Holy Spirit brought to mind. On the way down I was able to take my time, stop frequently, stretch my legs, use the restroom or grab some food because I had to wait until my cousin got off work to arrive at their home. It was great! On my return trip, I had a hard time leaving after such a fun weekend so I got on the road a little later than planned. Around the 4 hour mark I was getting antsy and impatient to be home. It was around this time I decided to give my voice a break from harmonizing to the play list I’d created and spend a little quiet time with God. At one point during our time together I told him I wanted to increase my obedience, even if it meant doing something crazy. At that moment, I spotted a cop car radar gun pointed directly at me, poised to capture my illegal speed. Fortunately, I hit the brakes in time and averted a costly ticket. After releasing my bated breath, I heard God whisper how about you start by driving the speed limit. I laughed out loud as I cautiously resumed my previous speed, hit cruise and ignored the whisper because why would God care if I drove the speed limit or not. I tried to resume my prayer time, but kept getting distracted by the large number blazing in front of me, reminding me that I was breaking the law after God asked me not to, especially when I had just promised to practice better obedience. Going the speed limit was not the crazy type of obedience I envisioned but I slowly decelerated, moved over to the right side of the road, and set my cruise to the legal limit.
           
If you ever want to learn how to be patient, I suggest you try this exercise of driving only in the slow lane at exactly the speed limit. At first, I felt like I was traveling at a snail’s pace, inching my way along as cars that I had previously passed sped around me. When we hit a “work zone” (only cones present, no workers) the posted speed limit was 10 mph less than the previous speed limit. The pace was agonizingly slow and I thought I’d never get through it. When I was finally able to return to the normal speed limit, I was amazed at how fast it felt like I was traveling. While cars continued to pass me, I felt more in control and at peace about the journey that lay ahead. I didn’t have to change my cruise control setting nearly as much as when I was speeding, tight turns didn’t quicken my heart rate as they did at faster speeds, and I could better enjoy the beautiful scenery God placed before me as I drove. God also gave me an experience that provided insight to some things I’d been struggling with in my life.
            
When I was traveling at a slower speed, I was concerned about all the people who were passing me, how come God didn’t tell them they have to drive the speed limit? I was worried about what I would be missing out on at home because of the extra half hour I would be on the road due to my slower pace. What could I have been doing with that time that was now ‘lost’? What God taught me was that life isn’t about arriving at a destination. Just because many of my friends have met the men of their dreams and are starting families of their own, apparently passing me on the road of life, doesn’t mean that I am losing the race.  It means that God is giving me a different journey. By slowing to the speed limit, I was more present in the moment, taking in the scenery, allowing God to minister to my heart, and enjoying the extra time at the end of the trip listening to songs on my play list I hadn’t heard for years. There were moments where I questioned, “God are you sure you still want me to travel at this pace, look how fast everyone else gets to go!” He would gently whisper, Yes, I’m sure. This is your journey not theirs.
            
We are all waiting for something. Students are waiting for graduation because then life can really begin. Singles are waiting for their life partner because then life can really begin. Couples are waiting for children because then life can really begin. Parents are waiting for their kids to be out of diapers, or going to school, or graduating from school, or having kids of their own because then life will really begin.  I think it’s ok to live in anticipation or expectation about what is to come. We as Christ-followers should take great joy in what’s coming next, living with an eternal perspective. But when it comes to waiting in this life, no matter what we are waiting for, it’s important to be an active participant in the here and now of where God has placed you. Waiting is not meant to be a passive stage of being, remaining motionless so we arrive at our destination in one piece. Waiting is active, seeking God and taking crazy steps of obedience, even when you don’t see the purpose in those steps beyond this is what God wants me to do. When we focus on arriving at our destination and sit around waiting for it to happen, we miss the beauty of the journey along the way. Don’t let life in the fast lane hinder your ability to be present in the moment, actively participate in every second you’re given. Slow down and relish the life you’ve been given!

No comments:

Post a Comment