Saturday, May 19, 2012

How Great is our God part 2


            On to part 2 of the week God rocked my world. Monday was wrapping up as I tried to finish my daily paperwork, when a co-worker approached me and asked if I would be interested in going to Jamaica with a group of local doctors. I told her I would be interested in learning more details about the trip, i.e. cost, dates, what I’d be doing, etc. As she began to describe the purpose of the trip, I knew it was something I would love to do, but as more details emerged I knew there were a few major roadblocks to making the trip a reality: a) my passport had been missing for the last 6 months, b) the week the trip was scheduled immediately followed a PTO freeze due to upgrades in our documenting system and we were already short staffed, c) the doctors were planning to leave in less than 2 weeks. And so the prayers began.
            When I first began my job in October, I was required to bring my driver’s license and a second form of photo identification to prove that I truly was who I said I was, so I brought my passport. After they made a copy of it and returned it to me, I made sure to put it somewhere safe. Turns out it was somewhere really safe because when my parents announced an international family vacation to celebrate their 35th anniversary, I tried to remember where that safe place was and so began the search. I searched my desk at work, my desk at home, all the bags I brought to and from work, my car, and even all my jacket pockets. I would start a new search every month or two, rechecking each place I’d looked the times before in hopes that it would miraculously appear. This is why finding that passport became the first item I began to pray about. If God truly wanted me on this trip, we’d have to find the passport first. When I returned home Monday night, I went to through the same routine of searching in all the places it could be at my apartment, but it was still safe and nowhere to be found. When I got to work on Tuesday, I started emailing the doctor heading up the trip to learn more details, but was hesitant to commit since my passport was still missing. During some free time, I decided to search my desk again, from top to bottom. I looked through all my notes, folders, books and papers I’d accumulated in the last 6 months with no luck. When I got to the bottom drawer to go through each folder individually, like I had before, I happened to glance toward the front. There, standing upright, safely tucked between the front of the drawer and the raised bottom, was a small navy blue teepee. I did a small happy dance and squeal of delight at my discovery. With my passport now in hand, I knew that God wanted me to go on this trip so I had to be obedient and ask for the time off, even if it was a long shot.
            Once I knew the dates of the trip, I sent an email to my supervisor, officially requesting the time off. I also sent an email to the members of my small group requesting that my friends pray that God would work everything out if I am supposed to go on this trip. Over the next couple days, I received emails and texts, letting me know that each person was praying. I also received an email from my supervisor saying that my time off was denied, we were just too short staffed and it was too close to the date of departure to move things around. I understood and sent an email to the doctor I’d been in contact with thanking him for the opportunity and to keep me in mind for future trips. The next day, one of my co-workers said she heard I was going to Jamaica. I was a little confused until my supervisor told me that they would be able to work it out so I could go on the trip. I guess the doctor made a phone call to request my time off as well and they were able to convince a couple other physical therapists to cover my time so I will be able to go down to Jamaica with the group. I leave next Tuesday!
            I am still in awe of how God worked everything out. He taught me that He is so much bigger than I can imagine and capable of accomplishing seemingly impossible things. He also showed me that I am surrounded by an incredible support system of great Christian men and women. My friends and family encouraged me and lifted me up in prayer all week long and together we were able to celebrate his amazing blessing. As I prepare this weekend to go on the trip, I would ask for your prayers as well. Pray that God would prepare the way for the work that we are going to do at the clinic and that the people who need our services would find a way to get there. Pray for his protection as we travel to, from and within Kingston. Pray for the people that I will be traveling with, I don’t know any of their stories or motivation for the trip. Pray for good conversation and relationship building opportunities. And pray that God would be glorified through this trip and everything that we do. I hope you all have a fantastic weekend and I can’t wait to share what God is up to in Jamaica when I get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment